For decades, film stars, TV personalities and celebrities have raved about the benefits of having wrinkle-smoothing injections and in more recent years, Botox® has become more and more accessible to those who simply want to look younger and feel more confident. Dr Dan Dhunna is one of the world’s leading authorities on Botox® injections and has treated many famous stars and those in the public eye (but of course we can’t divulge who!). Botox® is no longer seen as something that only the elite can have and from his clinics in London and the Midlands, Dr Dan Dhunna treats thousands of patients from all walks of life, with this injectable substance, for smoother skin and more youthful complexions.
What is so special about Botox®?
When creams and lotions no longer cut it to reduce and smooth unwanted expression lines and dynamic wrinkles, a series of Botox® injections in to the areas of concern, quite simply ‘works’ and sometimes in a matter of hours! This prescribed drug has a physiological effect on the muscles that produce laughter and expression lines, penetrates to the nerves that cause the muscles to form expression and can produce results that last up to 6 months at a time.
What is Botox®?
Botulinum Toxin Type A (Botox® is a brand name of such substance) is an injectable which uses an active element from a purified protein of the Clostridium Botulinum Bacteria. It is a neurotoxin which blocks the nerve signals which reach specific muscles that cause expressions. It was first approved for medical use by the FDA to assist with the treatment of strabismus (crossed eyes) and blepharospasm (excessive blinking). It was during this use that doctors noticed that their patients were beginning to look younger, as the muscles that cause expression were temporarily relaxed and therefore, so were the lines that they formed. The FDA acknowledged the application of Botox® for cosmetic use for the relief of upper facial lines such as frown lines, crow’s feet and forehead lines, as well as Glabellar lines (the lines between the eyebrows, also referred to as ‘elevens’).
What are the benefits of Botox®?
To help you to understand how Botox® injections work and why they are so immensely popular, we have listed 5 key benefits of this treatment, so you can make an educate and informed decision on whether to take the plunge and treat yourself to smoother, healthier-looking skin.
- Smoothing the skin – as we have mentioned, Botox® temporarily reduces facial lines and wrinkles by relaxing the muscles which cause expressions. When expertly injected by a medical practitioner, such as Dr Dan Dhunna, your skin will look smoother and less lined, but you will still be able to frown, laugh, squint and smile without looking un-natural or ‘overdone’.
- Brow Lift – Over time and with the natural ageing process, our brows can droop, making us look more tired and older. One of the major benefits of Botox® is when precisely injected, it can target specific muscles to offer a brow lift. If the muscles of the frown lines between the brows are relaxed, your forehead muscles can then lift the area, giving it an ‘elevated’ appearance. An elevated arch can also be achieved when treating the end of the eyebrows. This can all be done in a matter of minutes and without invasive and costly surgery. What’s not to love?
- Fine lines, folds and wrinkles – most of us have some lines and wrinkles that we would like to get rid of and Botox® can achieve this for months at a time. When injected into specifically targeted muscles, Botox® will prevent the nerve signals from reaching them, thus, relaxing said muscles. As the muscles ease, the skin over the top of them has time to smooth and relax. The following areas can hugely benefit as a result:-
- Frown lines
- Marionette lines
- Crow’s feet
- Neck lines
- Forehead lines
- Chin lines
- Mouth lines
- Bunny lines
- Glabellar lines
- Jawline slimming – have you ever looked in the mirror and noticed that your face shape has changed? It might be that where once your jawline was slim and your face, heart shaped, the ageing process has left you with a more square jaw appearance. You might also be someone who involuntarily grinds their teeth. Did you know that Botox® can help to ease teeth grinding and slim down the jawline? When injected in to the masseter (jaw) muscles, Botox® eases the activity of these muscles and prevents teeth griding. As the masseters become less active, they deplete, thinning the jawline and restoring a more youthful face shape.
- Excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis) – for many of us, excessive sweating can be embarrassing. The underarms, hands, face, back and feet can all be affected. Excessive sweating can hider confidence, influence our clothing choices and even affect our everyday lives. The good news is that Botox® injections can block the nerves that activate the sweat glands for up to 6 months at a time, so if prescription antiperspirants haven’t worked for you, it might be time to think about a course of Botox® injections, so you can get on with life, without the worry of excessive sweating.
What happens during a Botox® treatment?
Botox® is a minimally invasive treatment and many patients don’t feel a thing, during the procedure. You may be asked to pause taking any blood-thinning supplements or pain relief such as Ibuprofen, before your Botox® treatment and on the day of your treatment, will be asked to arrive with clean skin and no makeup on the treatment areas. There is not usually a requirement for an anaesthetic before a Botox® treatment, as the needles used are extremely fine and small. However, if you are really nervous, Dr Dan Dhunna can apply some topical anaesthetic for your comfort. Once you are relaxed on the couch, a number of injections will be given to the treatment site. It should take no longer than 10 to 15 minutes and you can simply return to your daily activities without any need for rest or recouperation. Some aftercare advice may be offered to you, such as avoiding hot steam rooms, saunas and baths for 48 hours, not rubbing the area for at least 24 hours and not bending forward for 8 hours (facial treatments), but there will be no clinical downtime or any need to wear dressings or facial healing creams.
Am I suitable for Botox®?
Before any treatment with Dr Dan Dhunna, we will ask that you attend a no obligation consultation, so that he can assess your individual concerns and desires for results, check your medical history and create a bespoke treatment plan. It is at this initial meeting that you can ask any questions you might have for the doctor, and book in your appointment for the treatment. In some cases, you may be able to have the treatment on the same day.
Botox® is no longer seen as a treatment to be wary of or taboo and both men and women benefit from this treatment, not only physically but for health and emotional benefits too. If you are interested to know more, book your no obligation consultation with Dr Dan Dhunna at either his London or Midlands clinics.